GA Smart Building joins CIRCOLAB, the circular economy laboratory in the real estate and construction sector.
Launched nearly a year ago in November 2017, in a context where the building sector generates approximately 50 million tonnes of waste per year – of which only 40 to 50% is recycled – the CIRCOLAB association aims to develop the circular economy in the real estate and construction sector.
CIRCOLAB and its members wish to form a community of actors engaged in the circular economy within the real estate industry, to encourage synergies, to get the various stakeholders on board and to press for changes to the regulations.
Together, they are endeavouring to challenge the classic linear economy model which involves extracting the raw material and energy, producing the good, using it and then discarding it.
Reusing materials results in lower consumption of raw materials and embodied energy, lower greenhouse gas emissions and less disturbance while at the same time avoiding the production of waste.
The commitment of the members of the CIRCOLAB association in the circular economy is based on the following fundamentals:
– Renovate to reduce the consumption of raw materials at source
– Repair to lengthen lifetime
– Reuse non-new products
– Reuse, after reconditioning, materials and products once the object reaches its end of life
– Recycle waste to replenish the reserves of raw materials
By signing this charter, GA Smart Building asserts its desire to engage in a transition towards a circular economy, in particular by promoting reuse in the real estate and construction sector.
This commitment is fully in line with our strategy. We have a responsibility to minimise our environmental impact as much as possible, to combat the depletion of natural resources and to become actively involved in the circular economy by promoting the reuse of products and materials.
* The founders of CIRCOLAB are: AEW Ciloger, Allianz Real Estate France, Bureau Veritas Exploitation, Covea, Deloitte Finance, Gecina, Generali Real Estate French Branch, Groupama Immobilier, Herbert Smith Freehills, Karine Jevelot – Architecte, Plaine Commune, Vinci Construction.